Coronado 0.5 Angstrom Personal Solar Telescope
- Specialized "H-alpha" solar telescope safely reveals dramatic prominences, flares, filaments, granularity, plages, and other solar phenomena
- Internal etalon filter combines with the 40mm external etalon to reduce the bandpass down to an impressive 0.5 Angstroms for increased surface detail compared with wider bandpass filters.
- Internal blocking filters reject all unwanted and harmful radiation, for completely safe viewing
- Weighs only 3 lbs., so requires only a small telescope mount or sturdy camera tripod for support
The Sun's got a lot going on, and the Meade Coronado Personal Solar Telescope will show it to you. By zeroing in on the far end of the Sun's visible light spectrum - the hydrogen-alpha line at 656.3nm to be exact - the PST reveals a star rolling with violent, ever-changing activity. Best of all, the PST's innovative design allows H-alpha solar viewing for a breakthrough price.
With the PST you will witness eruptions in the solar atmosphere called flares and the dramatic streamers known as prominences that shoot out from the Sun's edge. You'll also see a solar disk mottled with granularity and dark, snaking filaments. Active regions containing migrating sunspots and bright, irregularly shaped plages add to the incredible detail.This compact 40mm f/10 refractor combines an internal filter called an etalon with a second thread-on external etalon which transmits only the primary wavelength of light emitted by hydrogen (656.3nm) in the solar chromosphere, where all the action occurs. This "double-stacking" of the two etalon filters produces a bandpass of 0.5 Angstrom, allowing for even more detailed, higher contrast views of the solar surface compared with wider bandpass filters.
The telescope is just 15" long and weighs only 3 lbs., so it needs only a small telescope mount or a sturdy camera tripod for support. A 1/4" -20 mounting socket under the scope's rear housing provides the attachment point.
The PST will show you how dynamic our nearest star really is, with some surface phenomena changing over several minutes time! Get a Meade Coronado Personal Solar telescope today and get in on the action!
Features a 40mm diameter dedicated Ha optical system with 30mm internal etalon primary blocking filter, 40mm external etalon, and incorporated focuser and bandpass fine adjustment controls and built in solar viewfinder. 400mm focal length, f/10 focal ratio, and includes an 18mm Plössl eyepiece. Tripod not included.
The gold CEMAX eyepieces can also be purchased separately. A focusing knob keeps the image sharp and a tuning collar allows the contrast to be adjusted on selected surface details. A clever Sun-finder window near the eyepiece provides a safe way to aim the telescope.
Mounting options include use on a standard photo tripod (scope is threaded for a standard camera 1/4-20 mounting bolt), Infinity AZS, or the Meade DSM mount with computerized Autostar and GOTO technology. A custom hard case is available separately.
Please note this product was not designed or intended by the manufacturer for use by a child 12 years of age or younger.
- Best for viewing
- User level
- Optical design
- Optical diameter
- Focal length
- Focal ratio
- Glass material
- Plossl 18.0mm (1.25")
- Magnification with included eyepieces
- Resolving power
- Lowest useful magnification
- Highest useful magnification
- Highest theoretical magnification
- Limiting stellar magnitude
- Optical quality
- Diffraction limited
- Finder scope
- Mount type
- Optical Tube without Mount
- Tube material
- Length of optical tube
- 20.0 in.
- Weight, optical tube
- 3.2 lbs.
- Weight, mount/tripod
- 3.0 lbs.
- T-max tuner
- Additional included accessories
- Sun-finder window built into housing
- Other features
- Includes external 40mm etalon filter, Two etalons together product 0.5 Angstrom bandpass, Contrast tuning adjustment ring
- Five year