Meade 8" f/4 LX85 Astrograph Reflector Telescope
- 8" f/4 astrograph reflector optical tube really pulls in the faint light from distant celestial objects, perfect for both visual and photographic work
- Precision-made (8") parabolic primary mirror reflector telescope with fast 800mm focal length (f/4) provides exceptionally bright and crisp images of both solar system and deep-sky objects
- LX85 equatorial mount and tripod with GoTo slewing and tracking, and AudioStar controller for automated pointing to over 30,000 night sky objects
- Requires 12v DC power source, or AC-DC power inverter
- Includes robust 2" linear bearing Crayford focuser with 1.25" adapter, 8x50 finder scope, 26mm Super Plössl eyepiece, 2" diameter steel leg tripod, and more!
The Meade 8” f/4 LX85 astrograph reflector telescope is a compact wide field telescope, with an immense amount of light grasp, thanks to the large 8” BK7 (Borosilicate) mirror and >90% enhanced reflectivity coatings. The f/4 system is incredibly fast, meaning with a camera it will collect a lot of light in a short time, perfect for taking shorter exposures while still recording all sorts of detail in the nebulae and galaxies.
With an 800mm focal length, pairing this telescope with a DSLR or other astro camera will yield large and rich swaths of sky, perfect for framing any number of deep-sky objects. And with the 2” linear bearing Crayford focuser, try pairing it with a low power 2” eyepiece with a large apparent field of view. From a dark-sky location away from city lights, objects such as the Veil Nebula will reveal structures you may not have seen before. The focuser features a 10:1 reduction fine focus knob, brass compression rings (so you don’t mar the barrel of your eyepieces or camera adapters) and a 2” to 1.25” step down adapter (also with a brass compression ring).
The LX85 mount features fully automated GoTo slewing to (and tracking of) over 30,000 objects in the night sky. This stable mount can impressively handle slight load imbalances with ease. With its built-in integer gearing motor drive, you’ll be able to track through long exposures using Meade’s Smart Drive feature for recording permanent periodic error correction (PPEC). Seamlessly image the best parts of the night sky without having to worry about performing a meridian flip. The LX85 mount also includes an integrated autoguider port to readily connect to your autoguider camera, making your astro-imaging experience easy and straightforward.
With the included AudioStar hand controller you have easy access to over 30,000 objects that you can view with a simple press of a button! AudioStar Astronomer Inside technology features a built-in speaker that plays over four hours of educational content about the celestial objects you view!
The Meade AudioStar features audio files and an internal speaker. This computerized celestial object locating system plugs into the telescope's handbox port allowing a quick telescope alignment. Once aligned with the sky, the AudioStar is ready to take you to any object in the over 30,000 object database. In addition to GoTo and tracking capability, the AudioStar permits a wide array of fascinating and educational functions such as multiple Guided Tours, digital positional readouts, the ability to link with a PC using optionally available software and cord, and much more.
This complete telescope package includes a 26mm Super Plössl eyepiece, 8x50 finderscope with crosshairs, 2” diameter eyepiece extension tube, hinged tube rings, Vixen-style dovetail rail, tripod accessory tray, 25’ DC power cable, two 9-pound counterweights, and AutoStar Suite software available as a download. Weighs 59.1 lbs fully assembled.
Please note this product was not designed or intended by the manufacturer for use by a child 12 years of age or younger.
- Best for viewing
- Fainter deep sky
- Best for imaging
- Deep sky
- Astro-imaging capability
- Lunar, planetary & long exposure
- User level
- Optical design
- Optical diameter
- Focal length
- Focal ratio
- Finder scope magnification
- Lens diameter
- Enhanced aluminum
- Backfocus Distance
- Optics type
- Glass material
- Super Plossl 26.0mm (1.25")
- Magnification with included eyepieces
- Resolving power
- Lowest useful magnification
- Highest useful magnification
- Highest theoretical magnification
- Limiting stellar magnitude
- Optical quality
- Diffraction limited
- Finder scope
- 2" dual-speed linear bearing Crayford
- Mount type
- Tube material
- Length of optical tube
- 27.5 in.
- Weight, optical tube
- 16.0 lbs.
- Additional included accessories
- 26mm Super Plossl eyepiece, 2" diameter 35mm long eyepiece extension tube, 25' DC power cable
- Other features
- Dual speed linear bearing Crayford focuser, Smart Drive w/ Permanent Periodic Error Correction, AudioStar Controller with multiple guided tours
- Two year
How To Videos:
- How to Set Up Your LX85 Telescope
- How to Polar Align Your EQ Telescope Mount
- How to Align Your LX85 Telescope